Links

Wednesday 6 July 2011

From Humble beginings

So back to the very begining we go when i decided to leave single seater racing and learn the art of drifting. Looking around for a car was my first job. You cant drift if you dont have a car!
I found a Toyota Soarer 2.5 TT for sale and after checking it out decided that was the car for despite people telling me i was making a mistake as its too big and heavy.
Ok, so it needed some work, but everyone has to start somewhere! The engine was pretty stock too. Though it did have 1 or 2 extras like a weld in rollcage.
 Then it was time for the moment of truth. Time to see if i could drift it. Surprisingly for such a stock, heavy car i managed to get her drifting and was picking it up alot better than i expected. Seems motorsport is in my blood.
After my first DWYB (Drift what you brung) day at Santa Pod Raceway, i knew i'd be back. I was hooked. From then on in my mind started working overtime. What can i change?, what can i buy? when can i go drifting again? i could already feel my wallet panicing.
 It was'nt long before i decided it needed a full respray, new bodykit and new skid rims
Nice Arse!!!!!!! much better than the old one. This was back in 2008 and this Soarer saw me through more DWYB days and demo's than i can remeber. It also managed to help me gain my Semi-Pro drift licence so i could compete in the British Drift Championship.
Times have changed massively now and although i dont use this soarer anymore i still have her tucked up in my lock-up 4 years later. Sitting next to my new High Spec Soarer which i currently use to compete. Some things are worth keeping :)

No comments:

Post a Comment